OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training
Qualification Number: 603/6069/0
The OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training is a teaching qualification which has a mandatory teaching/training practice requirement. It is an ‘in service’ qualification designed for those working or wishing to work as teachers/trainers in England. All learners must have access to 100 hours of teaching and there must be a minimum of eight observations of practice, totalling a minimum of eight hours.
The objective of the OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training qualification is to give the learner the underpinning knowledge, understanding and skills needed to confirm occupational competence. This includes the planning and delivering of schemes of work and sessions, negotiation of individual goals, different teaching and learning strategies, communication issues and how to utilise a range of assessment practices. Additionally, optional units are available allowing the learner to explore areas directly relevant to their own teaching role.
The OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training is appropriate for teachers, tutors, trainers, lecturers and instructors who may be working within an FE college, Adult and Community Learning Centre. Learning Provider or for those delivering work-based training such as within voluntary, community, private and public organisations.
OTHM is a UK based Awarding Organisation regulated by Ofqual (Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation). OTHM always aim to develop as an organisation that is forward-thinking in order to support professions and industry by providing excellent qualifications that contribute for a highly qualified and experienced workforce.
The main objectives are:
- To uphold the integrity of our qualifications and assessments
- To provide British Standard Qualifications globally
- To promote professionalism
- To promote ethical practice
- To promote equality and diversity
Quality, Standards and Recognitions
The OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training is approved and regulated by Ofqual (Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation).
The Education Training Foundation has approved the OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training for accreditation. Learners successfully completing this qualification will be eligible to progress to the status of Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS). This is conferred through a separate and subsequent process called professional formation and is administered by the Society for Education and Training (SET) which is the professional body for those working as teachers and trainers in the sector.
For entry onto the OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training qualification, learners must:
- Hold a relevant vocational and/or academic qualification of at least the level above that of their learners and ideally a minimum Level 3 qualification in his/her own area of specialism.
- Have access to 100 teaching practice hours during which learners have full responsibility for planning, delivering and assessing specific area/s of the institution’s provision.
- Minimum core of literacy, language, numeracy and ICT
- Learners must be 19 years old or older at the beginning of the course
English requirements: If a learner is not from a majority English-speaking country, they must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English Language Expectations page in this website.
Centres need to ensure that learners are selected for suitability on the course, establishing that they meet the following minimum criteria:
- Can read and communicate clearly and accurately enough to meet the requirements of their training
- Do not have a criminal background which might prevent them from working as a teacher with young people or vulnerable adults
The Centre must provide evidence that staff delivering the qualification hold as a minimum:
- A teaching qualification equivalent to Level 5 or above;
- Evidence of relevant teaching experience in an education or training context;
- Access to appropriate guidance and support; and
- On-going participation in related programme quality assurance processes.
The OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training qualification is equivalent to the Certificate of Education (CertEd). It is also a good alternative to the Postgraduate Certificate in Education. This Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training will enable you to apply for QTLS status and be a recognised qualified teacher. Teachers with QTLS can also teach in schools.
The OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training qualification consists of 4 mandatory units plus 8 optional units, 1200 hours Total Qualification Time (TQT) and the recommended Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for this qualification is a minimum of 360. The maximum guided learning hours will be determined by the optional units selected.
To achieve the OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training, learners must achieve a minimum of 120 credits; 75 credits must be achieved from the mandatory units in Group A, plus a minimum of 45 credits from the optional units in Group B.
A minimum of 61 credits must be at Level 5 (therefore a minimum of 6 optional credits must be achieved at level 5)
The learner will need to meet the requirements before OTHM can award the qualification, i.e. achieve the appropriate mandatory and optional units, as well as satisfactorily complete teaching practice.
Mandatory units: Group A
- Teaching, learning and assessment in education and training (20 credits)
- Theories, principles and models in education and training (20 credits)
- Developing teaching, learning and assessment in education and training (20 credits
- Wider professional practice in education and training (15 credits)
Optional Units: Group B
- Develop and prepare resources for learning and development (6 credits)
- Develop learning and development programmes (6 credits)
- Equality and diversity (6 credits)
- Evaluating learning programmes (3 credits)
- Identify the learning needs of organisations (6 credits)
- Manage learning and development in groups (6 credits)
- Understanding and managing behaviours in a learning environment (6 credits)
- Action research (15 credits)
Duration and delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study, but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and externally verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, learners must provide evidence to demonstrate that they have fulfilled all the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by all assessment criteria. Judgement that the learners have successfully fulfilled the assessment criteria is made by the Assessor.
The qualification will be assessed by a combination of assignments, a portfolio of teaching evidence and observation of teaching or training. Simulation of teaching is not permitted for this qualification.
All learners must have access to 100 hours of teaching and there must be a minimum of eight observations of practice, totalling a minimum of eight hours.
Learners successfully completing this qualification, will be eligible to progress to the status of Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS). This is conferred through a separate and subsequent process called professional formation and is administered by the Society for Education and Training (SET) which is the professional body for those working as teachers and trainers in the sector.
As this qualification is approved and regulated by Ofqual (Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation), learners are eligible to progress to relevant qualifications at higher level.